Thursday, July 25, 2013

"We don't need no thought control" 
                                                    -Waters


              School. The biggest surprise I've had so far regarding my studies in India, has been that I have actually enrolled in grad school. Whoops! This does not, however, seem to be an issue as I have been able to follow the lectures and comprehend the concepts. It has been quite interesting to observe the differences between my education experience in the states, and the way things are done here in Hyderabad.

            For the most part, teachers are given a very high level of respect. Students rarely, if ever, ask questions and would certainly not challenge the teacher in front of the class. My friend Dash, a theater teacher in Dehli, told me about how much honor is given to teachers; they are almost as revered as medical doctors. Student also are held in high esteem, for instance during a lecture yesterday a man came in with little cups of chai for everyone! Its the little things, you know? Assignments are also handled quite differently (though this may just be because I'm in grad school) , instead of frequent homework and in class assignments, there is often only a midterm and a final. As of now, these are my classes:

Yoga theory and practice
Sitar
Quantitative research methodology
Basic writing
Applied anthropology and tribal welfare

       In my international hostel I am meeting some really amazing people from all over the world. Musicians, scientists, writers and philosophers have come from countries such as Dubai, Iceland, Afghanistan, Finland, Iran and Russia to study here in India. There have been an innumerable amount of fascinating cultural exchanges that are often times consisting of musical instruments and singing. I plan to post many pictures and vidies soon.

              For now, please enjoy this musical taste of south Indian carnatic music, provided by the Study in India Program. I did not record the whole performance, as the violin player (known as Violin Vasudevan) asked me to capture with his camera as well. Indian musicians speak often of moksha, which is a divine purpose or essence achieved by playing music. These gentlemen certainly brought the moksha last night. It was all I could do to keep from whistlin' and hollarin' as if I was in a jazz club.

Big Love,
Nathan King (Granola Bear)

No comments:

Post a Comment